Monday 4 November 2019





 

 

GUCR 2019 musings

 


I didn’t get in GUCR this year and I was gutted. I really fancied a go at my 10th finish on the 25th anniversary race. Then, with only about 48hrs to go Keith rings up with the offer of a place at the weekend!! I was sorely tempted. Leonie was to run the London 10K on the Monday before Derby’s play-off final at Wembley against Villa. It would make for a great weekend to fit it all in and run down to Wembley to boot … just like I had when Leonie and I saw the rams beat WBA all those years ago. But had I done enough training and were my legs ok? I’d run the White Peak Marathon in an unremarkable 3.52 only a week ago and my legs still felt tired. It could go badly wrong

Ok, well deciding to do a 145m run to London on 48hrs notice less than 7 days after a tough marathon with ageing knees and a sore hip is not the decision my head would have made but my heart has trumped it again.

I suppose my head will be saying ‘I told you so’ within just a few miles and at best it’ll be a slow deathmarch into London and at worst my 1st GUCR DNF but I am going to give it a try. It wasn’t the best idea to put it to Louise in the first place and I proposed not doing it after my head had had a word with my heart but she said I might as well. I’m not sure she really means that though.

So, with 48hrs to go I have to get sorted. If I do finish it I’ll meet Leonie down there Monday morning with the tickets and just hope it’ll be the same weekend that we had in 2007 when I did the race and then saw Derby beat WBA in the play-off final.

There’s not much time for a plan or even to worry about it, but I’m sure I’ll manage it.

Over the last 24hrs I have played over my 2018 race in my head. I did that low on fitness and it was the hardest GUCR I have ever done. It is so difficult trudging those lonely miles at walking pace and I do recall the despair, the boredom, the difficulty and the thought that I would never do that to myself again … yet here I am. At best I can only really hope to match my 2018 time and there is no point in thinking that things might just be a little easier this year. I am undoubtedly fitter than I was in 2018 but having run a marathon last week my legs (and more importantly R hip) are still tired from the WPM. A 1½mile jog round Chad Park Tuesday evening was fine but I’m going to have to do that x100. My WPM training didn’t lie and neither will this. My WPM training said I was up to a 3.52 marathon and that’s just what I did. So, if I am fit enough and mentally strong enough to finish it is going to be a slow one … again. My hip is already grumbling.

Feeling excited and apprehensive. I think that with this weekend and Lon Las in October that really ought to be it for longer than a day events this year, in which case I really need to make this one count. I honestly don’t know what to expect. I am fitter than last year but will still be affected by last weekends marathon. I hope I can get in under 40hrs which should mean a finish of around 10pm. That means I should finish before the hostel closes at around 11pm but I won’t be able to hang around for too long.

I’ll also need to get up about 6am to get to meet Leonie at the Ace for 7.30am-ish. A tube at about 7am will get me there in time but it’ll be another early start.

Weather looks ok, if perhaps a little hot. Hopefully there won’t be the torrential rain and thunderstorms we had last year anyway. I hope I make it with so little preparation time.

With 9 starts/9 finishers it’s easy to become a little blasé about a GUCR finish but you should never forget that this is a long hard run and it took all of my mental strength to get to the finish this year.

I started light with just a handheld for the 1st 2 sections which worked well. I did the 3rd like that too but it was a little longer at c.14m and it was also very hot. I couldn’t find several water taps and as a result I struggled to find water and had to rely on topping up from other crews. It was a slow, hard section.


I was also slow to HofE and although it got a little cooler to Navigation I got there in about 16hrs, a bit down on my usual times.

Overnight was hard and I couldn’t run. By the time I’d got to Br 99 I was well and truly knackered and deciding whether to throw up or not (not, but only just). I managed to get down a hot dog and some soup and that helped. My watch also packed in on this section so on the next I had it in my pocket attached to a battery pack. Pete Johnson overtook me strongly at Br 99 but I couldn’t run so had to let him go.

 

It got light quite quickly but I was slow to GJA, walking the whole lot although the CP is now a mile sooner. I got there in about 25.30, an hour down on my usual times and 2¼hrs slower than 2016.

 

After that I picked up to Springwell and ran well with my watch, doing 100 pace runs and seeing if I could do a mile every 15mins – not easy when you start with a 20min stop at the CP and soon after have to have another dump stop.

 

I caught Pete up at Springwell and carried on steady to Hamborough at a good 4mph avg. After that though I struggled and couldn’t run. Pete came past again and I couldn’t rally, thinking it’s take me just under 4hrs at an avg pace of a little over 3mph. after a mile or so though I freed off a bit took some paracetomol and S-caps and felt a lot better. I started to be able to run and picked up the pace well, averaging over 4.1mph in the end. This was pretty amazing since for the 1st couple of miles I was only at 3.1mph. As it was I overtook a good half dozen runners on this section and caught Pete up too with less than a mile to go and decided to run in with him.

 

 


 

 

I guess my experience in realising what might be stopping me running after Hamborough paid off and although 37.30 is by no means a fast time if I’d just slogged on after GJA then I’d have been looking at 6hrs/4hrs/4hrs, as opposed to 5.45/3.27/2.46 so it did make a difference.

 

I was pleased with the way I recovered on the 2nd day after a tough 1st one but it might be a while before I go back for another go. I wouldn’t want to have a marathon in my legs again and it did affect me - My legs were killing me overnight. I’ve done 10/10 now and although I am now high up in the Hall of Fame, it might now be time to retire. At least I’ll take a year or so off anyway.

 

The 1st day also brought it home to me how lucky I might have been with the weather in last years Spartathlon. I don’t run well in the heat and on another year would have struggled. I was still running well, even after 145m but the heat on the 1st day really did do me in.

 

As it was though 37.30 is 4hrs faster than I did last year but 3hrs slower than in 2016. Having said that though my times on the 2nd day were pretty comparable. If it’d not struggle don the 1st day and overnight I could have been a lot more competitive.

Feeling tired and sore still today (Wednesday after). I have blistered some toes (not too badly though) which may be down to the fact that I had to wear 3 pairs of socks in my Bondi’s. I usually wear calf guards rather than compression socks but couldn’t find one of my guards after WPM so instead I wore injinjis, compression socks and Sealskinz. The balls of my feet (esp R) are sore too and that may be down to the orthotics which seem to have a ridge in them. I was still prob better using them but I may need to look into that.

 

98 starters and 52 finishers is pretty much a 50% DNF rate, worse than Spartathlon!

 

p.s

after a night tossing and turning in the hostel at Paddington I made opening time at the Ace. Leonies 10K in central London went well, the play-off final at Wembley not so. no fairly tale ending this time like there had been in 2007, but it was still a good day out.

 

 
 


 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment